Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Look! Windmills!

There're probably more modern electricity-generating wind-turbines in the Netherlands nowadays than old-fashioned water-pumping or grain-grinding windmills. But the old windmill is more than just a tourist cliché. It is also representative of the Netherlands' Herculean national battle against the sea to keep their very low and flat lands dry. "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland" was one way of putting it, but I prefer the province of Zeeland's motto: Luctor et emergo---I struggle and I emerge.
Kinderdijk, where the 19 windmills were, was quite a scenic spot. Canals and green fields and a broad, broad horizon. Rotterdam, an hour away by bus, was somewhat less interesting, although the Erasmusburg, for one, was quite striking.

And then there was the Overblaak development ... there are actually flats in those cubes. It looked and felt bizarre ... somewhat like a beehive, really, with its closely-knit honeycomb of cells.

No comments: